The ever so dreaded resume writing.
We are always surprised by the number of individuals that choose to stay in a position they are not happy with to avoid the resume and interview process.
This makes us so sad!
Staying in a position you no longer feel fulfilled can keep you for reaching your professional goals.
Because your resume and cover letter are key pieces to your personal marketing and essential pieces to help you land the dream job, we are here to help with 5 tips on how to update your resume!
- To capture the attention of the resume reviewer the top of your resume should be inviting, organized and make a statement. Instead of an objective statement consider writing a short profile of yourself summarizing your work experience and why would you would be the best hire.
- The middle section of your resume should primarily focus on work experience. Make sure that you list your job experiences chronologically. Don’t cheat yourself by not listing all of your qualifications and make sure to give examples and specific descriptions of your responsibilities and achievements in your roles.
- Share the unique facets of yourself that would make you an asset to the position and company you are applying for. Are fluent in another language? Do you participate in a board or volunteer group? Include relevant activities and groups you are a part of to let the resume reviewer see how dynamic you are.
- Resumes should be tailored to the position you are applying for. Use the job description as a guide to help you highlight your qualifications in the best light for the position you are applying for.
- The last tip goes without saying. PROOFREAD! Don’t fumble your excellent resume by leaving in a typo. You don’t want your potential employer to have the impression that you don’t pay attention to detail.
A tailored resume that is distinguished and professional can land you an interview for that dream position.
Don’t sell yourself short and show them the best you!